We consider ourselves fortunate to have our offices in The Old Market House, one of Steyning’s most prominent buildings.
The building has served many purposes over the years, only one of which was as a Market House. In 1655 George Fox, the founder of the Society of Friends, addressed a Quaker meeting here.
The building has also served as the Town Hall, the Police Station and until 1936 it was the Fire Station. The old Fire Bell notice is still preserved on the wall (picture above). When the fire bell rang, horses stabled at the Chequer Inn would make their way along the road to join the fire engine and its crew.
The clock itself was given to Steyning in 1860 by the Duke of Norfolk on the demolition of his country mansion at Michelgrove near Arundel.
The inside of the building still has a lot of old features - a beautiful flint wall in our reception area, plenty of exposed beams and the ladder used to access the clock tower (ladder rope hook below).
Our lovely photographs were taken by Lisa Beaney Photography